Saturday, November 19, 2011

Salt Lake City Temple Photo

I have been wanting to draw the Salt Lake Temple for quite time because I have always been attracted to the Gothic style architecture and the stone cutter's detail.  My hope is that this drawing would become the greatest piece of art I have produced up to this point of my life.  To product a great drawing I first needed a photograph that would work as a reference to look at.  I knew what I wanted before I took the picture.  I wanted the North East view of the temple since the Angel Moroni is on the East side.  I also wanted one side to be in light and the other side to be in shadow thus creating a contrast of light and shadow.  I visited Salt Lake in April but the sun was not far enough to the north so both the North and East side of the temple was in shadow.  I visited Salt Lake again on June 24th for my sister-in-law's wedding.  As I sat in the temple that evening I realized that if there was any time during the year that the sun would be high enough to the north, it would be now since June 21st is the day that the sun is the furthest to the North.  A few minutes later, I walked outside the temple and was so excited at the sight.  The sun was in the perfect location creating a perfect light and shadow on the temple.  I quickly ran across the street to my car which was parked beneath the Conference Center, grabbed my camera and took the picture that you now see.  The picture was taken on June 24th 2011 at around 6:00pm.

2 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous picture of the temple! I've been looking for an inexpensive picture to enlarge for my kids to see each day. Can I get your permission to enlarge this one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps the link to your gallery doesn't work

    ReplyDelete